Thursday 30 April 2020

5: 77, 78


A controversial tale...




Mini Miglia I think, 77 or 78. No tie for father (Roy) again so some standards clearly slipping - but looks like I've managed to acquire some rally overalls and possibly full harness belts. The MM was a great winter event. I watched Roger Clark and Jim Porter get a WD a few years previously on their way to winning it (and the first rally win for the production Mexico). Why didn't they get a fail? They were first on the road and the marshal was so starstruck he ticked the direction of approach as correct, in error. Not much you can do about that...

Ian Wright picked up on this:  
 I was navigating for Bill Evans running car 3 behind Roger and Jim in their Mexico. Not sure what year it was. Anyone know?

I replied:  It was probably 72 or just possibly 73. I was spectating at Burholme Bridge (103/658480) and the correct direction was from the W. RAC and JP arrived over the bridge from the ESE, and not only escaped a Fail but saved at least three minutes as well!

IW: Thanks Bill, it was a privileged position to be running immediately behind them as car 2 didn't start. No dramatic wheel spinning starts from a control just a smooth take off. Not sure where we finished. I do have a silver (stainless) plate that we won but there is no inscription on it.

----------------------------------------



The last two photos of me and dad (Roy) in my Red Mexico TCW 360K. Not sure which rallies they were or exactly when; although I'd yet to win as a driver, we must have been doing fairly well judging from the seedings. But something momentous was about to happen, which would change the way I did rallying for a while...


No comments:

Post a Comment